Tuesday 28 October 2014

REVIEWSDAY: L'Oréal Paris True Match Touche Magique Concealer


There comes a moment in your life where you just have to step back, look at the world around you and say "I want nothing more than to find the perfect under-eye concealer, and then I will be happy forever."

I'm reasonably confident that's not just me. I love L'Oréal foundations, and their True Match range has been good to me in the past, so I thought I'd give the Touche Magique concealer (£8.19 from Boots) a go too, in the hope that it would match up (see what I did there?). In the end, though, that wasn't quite to be.

The product comes in one of the little pens with a built in brush and a twist-up applicator. In general, I'm not a big fan of this kind of packaging - I always feel that product is wasted or dries out on the brush, and the brush itself isn't that useful for blending because you end up using too much. When I bought this and opened it, it had already been twisted a bit and concealer had come out onto the inside of the lid - not a great start.

However, once I put aside my gripes about the packaging, my first impressions of the product itself were good. It did a reasonable job of concealing my dark circles, although it's hard to see much in the pictures. The L'Oréal True Match range has quite a good spectrum of colours and tones, so it was easy to get a close match (I had it in the shade Rose Beige, which is pink-toned), and it has a very subtle highlight to it. Highlight is super important for me in an under-eye concealer - I can't be messing about with two products in that area - but too much can backfire and just draw attention to that area instead of lifting the eye. I found this concealer to have a good balance, so on initial application I was pretty pleased on the whole.

Unfortunately, as is the case with lots of products and under-eye concealer specifically, I got less and less pleased as the day wore on. The biggest problem I had was creasing - I found that it really settled into the creases under my eyes, even with primer underneath and set with powder. This isn't a deal breaker for me personally, although i was certainly not happy about it, but if you're concerned about fine lines I think it might be a big issue with this product.

I also had a little bit of an issue with dryness. I don't get a lot of dryness around my eyes, but I also tried this concealer around my nose (i was curious), where I do get a little bit, and I did find that it showed up the patches quite badly, so maybe tread carefully if that's a problem for you in the eye area.  You could, though, put that issue down to the highlight in it - I don't imagine anyone expected me to be trying to anti-fatigue my nose.

Overall, I'm not in love with this concealer, but I'm not devastated by it either. It'll live in my drawer and I'm sure I'll continue to use it every so often, but there are definitely some key issues and I'm not sure I'd repurchase. 

2 comments:

  1. That is a shame considering the foundation is so good. I guess we always have the maybeline dream lumi touch.

    http://worldbloggers.net/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know; I felt quite let down! Oooh I haven't tried that; maybe that'll be next on the list =) N x

      Delete